Mell Consulting offers business development consulting tailored to each individual lawyer’s or group’s needs. The programs are flexible and vary in duration according to the firm’s overall goals.
Most law firms operate on an annual cash basis which causes lawyers to think of their careers in one-year chunks. While few firms project business and revenue beyond their current fiscal years, individual lawyers can and should have long range views of their careers. Mapping out a 12-month personal business development plan is essential, but it is also vital to think of the long term and create a plan that fits with long-range career goals.
Mell Consulting takes the approach that everyone’s plans will be different, as no two people or careers are identical. Successful marketing plans are less about form and more about substance. What is important is to have a plan. Written plans are worthwhile for a number of reasons:
- Budgeting – Those with plans have a better chance of getting their efforts funded.
- Preparation – If you know what you are going to do in April, you have a better chance to properly prepare, and thereby get the most out of the activity – before, during and after.
- Sharing – If you have a plan, you can share it with colleges and get valuable feedback and help you may not have known is available.
Not everyone engages in, or even likes, every type of activity, so a best practice is to identify a few areas of marketing on which to focus during a specific time frame. Seeking help where you need it is also critical. However, you as the professional are ultimately responsible for execution – as you will reap the benefits.
Mell Consulting advises on plan development to suit each practitioner’s forte. Whether you love cocktail parties, or prefer to speak at small round-table discussions, Mell Consulting will help you create a plan that suits your comfort level and, more importantly, is achievable.
The signs of a good plan are:
Phase I Plan Development Programs Include:
- Taking Inventory – Initial meetings to assess past/current efforts and results.
- Templates – Written outline for use in the assessment and goal setting process.
- Guidance – Ensuring access to resources which help attorneys execute.
- Prioritization – Keeping eye on the ball.
- Timelines – Establish specific, achievable milestones.
- Check Points – Regular progress calls/meetings.
After plans are drafted and underway, Mell Consulting offers a Phase II program for ongoing coaching on three-month or six-month timetables.
Phase II Plan Development Programs Include:
- Identifying challenges and redirecting efforts
- Identifying strengths
- Tailoring for career level
- Realistic goal setting
- Ways to improve efficiency
- Eliminating distractions
- Managing expectations
- Simple, directed action Items
- Assistance with social media, joining trade and industry groups, speaking and publishing